Have the Devil's SlideTunnels Changed Things for the Better - or Worse?

When discussing the increased traffic on the coast in the past couple of years, many blame the opening of the Tom Lantos tunnels on Devil’s Slide. We attended the opening, and thought that it would be a huge improvement for transportation in our community. Do you think that it has improved - or made things worse?

Overall, I think it’s for the better. I’ve heard people blame the tunnel for all kinds of things, though, from more traffic, more bicyclists, even more accidents.

I’ve asked a few times for statistics on traffic (of all kinds) before and after the tunnel, and so far I’ve not been able to get any.

Myself, I miss the drive along the slide, with it’s wonderful views of the ocean and the Farallones. On the other hand, the new park is very nice. I’d walked the highway when it was open, and to be able to walk it now when it’s quiet is quite amazing.

Northbound weekend traffic is, of course, much worse than I remember it. I haven’t noticed any problems during the week.

Clearly, a big part of the issue has been the remarkable weather we’ve been having this summer.

Early in the summer, I thought the detour at Linda Mar was the culprit, but the opening of the bridge doesn’t appear to have solved that problem. I’m beginning to wonder if the timing of the light at Linda Mar is part of the problem.

It’s important to remember that the main reason for the tunnel wasn’t to improve transportation so much as to replace the Devil’s Slide portion of Hwy 1 before it dropped into the ocean.

The signal timing, and the k-rail, and the striping all contributed. Over the next 3 days, they are working on most of that. They were going to finish it the following week, but now it’s been moved back. We’ll see if that improves things substantially.

Here’s the recent update from Caltrans:

San Pedro Creek Bridge Construction Update (State Route 1) Pacifica

San Mateo County- The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will
begin final paving operations on U.S. State Route 1 (northbound/southbound)
between Post Mile 40.6 (Ace Hardware) to Linda Mar Boulevard in Pacifica,
starting Tuesday, September 8, and completed by Thursday, September 10, from
7:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

San Pedro Avenue will have one-way traffic control with flaggers: September 8,
7:00 PM to 6:00 AM

Linda Mar Boulevard & State Route 1 will have various lane closures: September
9, 7:00 PM to 6:00 AM

State Route 1 will have alternating lane closures in both directions, and
limited one-way traffic control: September 10, 7:00 PM to 6:00 AM

Note: This work will include grinding and paving operations at the intersection
of Linda Mar Boulevard and State Route 1.

The paving work will affect signal timing for the entire week. Electrical work
that controls the Route 1 and Linda Mar intersection will be worked on during
the week of September 14, original signal timing will be restored by mid-week
of September 14.

North and southbound temporary striping will be removed and replaced with
permanent striping the week of, Monday September 21 and completed by Thursday,
September 24, between the hours of 7:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

Final paving will restore lanes both north and south of the bridge back to the
original configurations. The area between the bridge and Linda Mar Boulevard
will have two lanes starting closer to the bridge.

Changeable Message Signs have been posted in advance of the construction zone.

Final construction for this project will be completed by October, 2015.

That’s reassuring. Don’t get me wrong - I think the tunnel has been a good thing, overall. All I have to do is look at Mike’s old pics of the closed-off slide to remember the impact on the local economy during those times. It’s just interesting to hear the blame for the recent traffic jams on the tunnels.